Thursday, July 21, 2011

my thrifty apartment porch garden

I did mention a little bit ago that I'd post my little garden I've been working on this summer. Though it is nothing spectacular, I'm pretty proud of how it has turned out. The hubs and I both love the outdoors and were a little sad when we moved into a 3rd floor apartment and gave up our yard. One of the requirements of our apartment search was a place with a porch. Well we have one, but let me warn you, it is very, very tiny. Anyhow, we still really wanted to create an enjoyable outdoor space but we are under a tight budget so the less mulah spent the better!
So I started small. Very small with these.


I wasn't as successful with the seeds as I had hoped, but I did get a few things to grow! Check it out!


As I'm sure you can tell, it was a gradual process. I had already collected a few things before we put it all together.


So finally the hubs and I decided to finish our little porch. We wanted to have a spot for each of us to sit and relax, have a cup of coffee, read a book, etc. So we checked out craigslist....nothing worth the money or the gas, so then we decided to check out our local thrift store. This is what we found.



Not exactly what I envisioned myself, but the hubs really loved the table and I figured the flower tray went pretty well with the whole garden theme. Plus, for a total of $15 for both, that's not too bad.

So since we still needed some chairs we decided to check out Target. Unfortunately we struck out, but finally hit a homer when we went to Lowes. Each chair was $20 a pop. I'm sure if I had waited I could've found something cheaper and maybe even a little more interesting, but we were ready for our porch to be done yesterday so it worked!


A little miss matched perhaps, but we have a comfy outdoor spot now! We also got some planters and a few veggies. Take a peak at our thrifty garden!

We also have watermelon, zucchini squash, dill, and mint. These are mostly from Lowes.







You definitely can't beat Produce Junction's flower prices!

1 comment:

  1. Love the porch garden but I am dying over that table. I like the tray too but the table, oh what a find!

    ReplyDelete